Adapted from the Elote Cafe Cookbook:
I have taken the liberty of adding a twist of my own to this salad which combines fresh figs with smoky grilled corn, red onion, thinly sliced radishes, and arugula. I like the chipotle and the pilconcillo, as they share the smokiness of the grilled corn. You should be able to find Queso Anejo at Casa Lucas, or check Foodsco on Folsom, they ahve a surprising assortment of Mexican cheeses that I can’t seem to find elsewhere.
Ingredients (4 servings)
For the Chiptole Lime Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 orange, juiced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp adobe from a can of chipotle chiles, or to taste
- 2 tbsp piloncillo, grated (use a cheese grater)
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1/4 lb. Queso Anejo or Cotija, crumbled, for topping salad
For the Salad
- Blend the ingredients for the Chipotle Lime Dressing and set aside. [I use a blender because it helps break down the piloncillo, which is a little more resistant to blending than cane sugar]
- Assemble all salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Toss with 1/3 to 1/2 of the Chiptole Lime Dressing, plate and serve topped with Queso Anejo or Cotija.